gnome-terminal color problems

I posted a message a few days ago stating that I couldn't get gnome-terminal to display any colors unless I passed the --color switch to ls. I received a few replies and have been trying to track down the problem for the past few days. Shoan Motwani gave me the best lead. His idea was to delete all values for palette in /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default using gconf-editor. That worked fine when executed as root. I had no result after deleting those values as a normal user. There is one difference between the two users. Root only has the Default gnome-terminal profile, but my normal user account has two different profiles (I deleted the palette values in both profiles). Deleting the extra profile for my user account, and leaving just the default, still did not fix the problem. But, if I su to root I magically get color output. I should note that my distro is redhat 9. Can anybody recreate this problem? Is it a known bug that multiple terminal profiles break color output? Where are the gnome-terminal settings located? I removed the extra profile from within the terminal, and deleted the profile's directory from ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/ (it remained even after I deleted the profile in the terminal). Did I get them all? Thanks.