Re: garnome .27.1 & Mac OS X

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:29:29PM -0400, Satadru Pramanik wrote:
> I'm trying to compile garnome .27.1 on Mac OS X (10.3 build 7B68).
> I''m having some issues with the compile, and through some patches have
> been able to get through some of it.  I'd like to share what I have,
> and ask for any help you could provide with getting the rest of gnome
> to compile properly.
>
> pkgconfig would not compile without a patch that I found in the
> darwinports tree for the glib inside pkgconfig:
[snip]
> This patch also had to be applied to glib-2.2.3's gmain.c to get it to
> compile.

I compiled this just fine.  Did you install the gcc 3.3 update?

> garnome goes through and compiles up to fontconfig, and then dies with
> a freetype error:
>
> (cd .libs && rm -f libfontconfig.la && ln -s ../libfontconfig.la
> libfontconfig.la)
> Making all in fc-cache
> cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/Users/satadru/garnome/include
> -I/Users/satadru/garnome/include/freetype2
> -I/Users/satadru/garnome/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -I/Users/satadru/garnome/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -L/Users/satadru/garnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -maltivec -O2 -O2 -pipe

Err, what is that -maltivec for?  I have a hunch it's not doing what you
want, the man page says it doesn't do anything on MacOS X.

> Moving the preinstalled freetype libraries out of the way and
> recompiling both fontconfig and freetype gives me this:

Put those back, other programs rely on them.

> Any ideas?  Is there any way to get garnome to compile everything and
> not recompile freetype, and instead use the preexisting system
> freetype?

make clean in fontconfig if you have installed the bootstrap freetype.

I've got about 30 patches for gnome so far for OS X, but they are not ready
yet.  I'm having trouble getting nautilus working properly, but
everything else seems to be working fine.  If you can wait a couple
days, I'll have a link to them posted here.

--
GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9D5B8762