ld: cannot find -lsmbclient

Hello,

I am trying to run install garnome 0.27.1 on a linuxfromscratch-machine. At
the moment i am running gnome 2.2, compiled from source but concidering the
extraordinous effort it takes to do this i thought of letting garnome do all
the work for me. Tough luck though. Trying to compile gnome-vfs-extra it
stops with this error: "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsmbclient" during "make".
I did install samba (and since "./configure" didn't complain it must have
been detected). Does anybody have a clue to what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance,
Rolf Deenen

PS. samba's "make install" didn't copy libsmbclient to /usr/include. I had to
do this manually. Perhaps another file didn't get placed in it's correct
location?
PPS. This has been asked before on this list. But it never got an awnser.