Experiences building GARNOME 0.26.2 on "odd" system

Okay, I've managed to install Gnome 2.4rc1 a couple of days back, and
I'm now installing 2.4.0 with some help from 0.27.1 ;-)

Here are some errors I came across while doing the compile on (largely
modified) Slackware 8.0, in their order of appearance. This nice "distribution" of GNU/Linux system means having GCC 2.95.3 (no-C99) and string2.h which does some void pointer arithmetic (and that sucks in terms of -Werror).

GCC 2.95 compat problems are easily resolved by splitting the
declaration part from the assignment part. Warnings turned into errors are resolved by turning them back to warnings ;-)

Some of this would apply to all users which have old systems with old GNU Compiler Collection.

Among other things, I made use of GARCHIVE, removed --disable-gtk-doc
from category.mk (I want the docs! ;-), and went on with compile.

libbonoboui:
If there's (too) old gdk_pixbuf (actually the file gdk_pixbufConf.sh
was responsible for pkg-config finding my ancient 0.10.1 version), it
complains and stops in configure check (it requires at least 0.12 or
something like that, but I thought it smarter to hide it from
configure since I might be removing my entire /opt/gnome1 directory in
the future).

libcroco had compatibility problems, but those seem to be resolved in CVS.
src/seleng/cr-sel-eng.c: lines 134, 796
src/layeng/cr-lay-eng.c: line 1221

gnome-vfs-extras:
libsmbclient (Samba compiled from source, but without libsmbclient)

gtksourceview: -Werror

nautilus-media: GCC 2.95 compatibility
media-info.c: line 264

gnome-speech: GCC 2.95 compatibility
drivers/viavoice/viavoicesynthesisdriver.c:  line 58

epiphany: -Werror

So, if it's buildable on this "recent" (hey, 3 years haven't passed by
yet!) Slackware, it must be buildable everywhere else ;-)

Btw, I don't expect anything to change in GARNOME 0.27.

Cheers,
Danilo