PowerTools DISASTER....and pain.

Hi All...

DO NOT USE Powertools - here is my sad tale :

Woa - after three days of compilation (including dependency tracking and general mayhem) I finally got 0.27.1 compiled and running on an old PII-233(256mb RAM) - Redhat 8.0...

I also installed the Gnome-Powertools (/meta/gnome-powertools). I loaded up the Gnome 2.4 desktop, which is very pretty I might add... then I decided I wanted to add some users to the machine - as it was to be used by a number of my house mates... So I cranked up the System Admin (I think that is what it is called), it dutifully notified me that it is pre-release code and can make my box inoperable - fair enough... lets try it anyway and obviously I had to log in as root ...

So I added some new users, by pressing the add button... Once they were added I pressed the apply button, the app did not come return properly and eventually I had to kill it - then my *FUN* began (I know about the warning but this was just silly)....

Firstly ALL the users except myself and root were deleted from /etc/passwd and /etc/group and /etc/shadow... I thought that was quite funny - sure normally you system would effectively be rendered useless but I've been around a while and recreating users from an passd.OLD with a simple shell script was easy-peasy... but then I noticed that the script had also deleted ALL the assocaited home directories (AAAAAAARRRRGHH!!!) - can you imagine the PAIN!!.. All my mysql data - GONE - as the database home is /var/lib/mysql..., all my named COnfigs - GONE... most importantly - A site the I was HOSTING for a friend of mine - GONE!!!!!!

So right now I am running R-Linux (under win2k) to try to recover it - (will keep you informed)... Now I do know that it was pre-release - but this is beyond unacceptable - you NEVER DELETE FILES without CONFIRMATION.... I can only hope that someone will learn something from this....

Since I do have a morbid fascination I took a peak into the power-tools directory and found user.* Perl scripts (in the engine directory) that called deluser -r (delete user and recusively delete home directories) - why on earth this would be called from an ADD user function - I don't KNOW...

Please DO NOT  release such terribly buggy code...

Woa - now that I have ranted.... thanks for the enormous amount of work that went into Garnome, not to mention the titanic achievement of Gnome... hopefully I have not been scared for life...

Regards
MarCin

--
Marcin Kowalski
Perl Developer / Unix Administrator

t: 0870 20 20 121
f: 0870 20 20 131
www.thehotgroup.com

hotrecruit.com, planetrecruit.com, jobtrack.co.uk, jobsearch.co.uk and
jobsin.co.uk are brands of hotonline ltd, a subsidiary of the hotgroup plc

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. It may contain
privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other
than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and to advise us of any errors in transmission. Thank you.