Re: gnome-fifth-toe build issues?

On 22 May 2003, David Fallon wrote:

> Two other quick things - is there any way to have garnome dump all the
> tar files into one dir, so it's easier to create a local cache as I
> build this on other machines? Or otherwise come up with a list of all
> the packages I need to download?

Set GARCHIVEDIR in gar.conf.mk to something reasonable.  I use

	GARCHIVEROOT = /var/www/archive
	GARCHIVEDIR  = $(GARCHIVEROOT)/$(DISTNAME)

Then a
	make garchive
dumps all of the files downloaded for a single package into a common
subdirectory.  $(DISTNAME) is normally $(GARNAME)-$(GARVERSION)

I take this a step further, rsyncing the archive directory to a local
Web server.  Let's say this is archive.xyz.com.  Then I append
	http://archive.xyz.com/$(DISTNAME)/
to FILE_SITES, defined towards the bottom of gar.conf.mk.  This
means that the local Web server is checked before fetching the package
over the Internet, speeding things up enormously when installing
the same software on other local machines.

You can of course leave out the /$(DISTNAME) bit, but this isn't a
good idea at all in the long run, because you will get collisions,
with more than one package including a file of the same name.

--
Jim Dixon  jdd dixons org   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881