Where is .gnome-desktop ?

I just got garnome up for the 1st time - it's awesome! It doesn't seem
to be looking at my ~/.gnome-desktop files though, for some reason.

I had had trouble getting connected using Network Device Control, but I
could get on using wvdial, so I connected a launcher (which acts more
like a button) - to a shell script that sudo's wvdial if not connected,
or kills wvdial if it is connected - just to have something until I
figured out my Network Device Control problems. The script also toggles
the icon and label by editing .gnome-desktop/Connect.desktop - in my old
Gnome it worked great. Now neither the icon nor label change. I tried
changing the icon using the properties pop-up, and it changed, but the
change didn't appear in the .gnome-desktop/Connect.desktop. I also tried
this on a few other desktop launchers - same thing.

Where is garnome looking for this stuff now? I hunted around, searched
the archives & google but couldn't find anything.

Any help?

Thanks
Paul
(location one verizon net)