Re: gnome-panel crashes

Zen Sorcerer (zen_sorcerer hotmail com) wrote:
> Well, "never" seems to be a very longer time. I don't see why it wouldn't
> be accepted into gtk one day. I'm using it now in 0.22.0 and it is very
> stable for me and it looks really cool... :) Also, my panel has never
> crashed. :-)
>
> Zen

When the person who wrote the patch introduced it he told the GTK
developers never to incorporate it.  It is a hack, because XFree doesn't
support transparency natively.  Though from the looks of stuff with
Keith Packard and all that jive there might be some (maybe?) good
changes coming in the XFree86 structure.  If this will allow the amount
of people that work on GNOME to work on XFree86 then it might be a great
thing.  Transparency would get a pretty high priority because god damn
people are suckers for eye candy.  It may be stable, it may look really
cool, but that doesn't mean it is "right".  There are times that it will
always fail.  There are times when it doesn't do what is expected.

--
Samuel Stringham