Re: Xfree 4.3 = no need for Xft, Xft1, Xrender, and fontconfig packages

<quote who="Ryan Quarry">

> I was able to build garnome cvs with the above packages stripped out-looks
> great, less bloat. I don't know if you are aware but Xfree 4.3 comes with
> all the facailities of these packages and it might make things more simple
> to remove them (maybe not =p)?

fcpackage has almost always been pulled from X4.3 CVS, so yeah, I'm fully
aware that all these features are in the new version.

But no, we can't assume that:

  a) everyone is using X4.3, because not everyone tracks the bleeding edge,
  nor cares to, and we don't have a critical mass of distributions shipping
  it yet

  b) not everyone runs XFree86 anyway

So, it might be nice, but definitely not right now. There is some scope for
detecting things like this in the future, but it's not really high on my
priority list atm. I'm still working mainly on the "GARNOME killer". :-)

    "I'm taking no part in your merry 5-way clusterfuck - sort that mess
                 out between yourselves." - Alexander Viro