Re: [Fwd: Re: Garnome nautilus links against /usr/lib/libnautilus?]

Sydney Weidman wrote:
Sorry, I accidentally sent this to myself rather than the list.

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Sydney Weidman <weidmans mts net>
To: Sydney Weidman <weidmans mts net>
Subject: Re: Garnome nautilus links against /usr/lib/libnautilus?
Date: 16 Jun 2003 14:18:08 -0500

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:18, Sydney Weidman wrote:

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 08:22, Danilo Segan wrote:

Sydney Weidman wrote:

All of these things and I *still* get the dreaded
"nautilus: relocation error: /usr/lib/libnautilus.so.0: undefined symbol: TC_string_struct" when trying to start nautilus.

Does this all seem on the up and up? Are there toothpicks in the windmills of my mind?

It's more likely to be *runtime* error, rather than compilation error.

So, I'd suggest to check LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or at least try with:
LD_PRELOAD=/home/sydw/garnome/lib/libnautilus.so nautilus

Also, check your /etc/ld.so.conf if you're using a GNU/Linux system.

Cheers,
Danilo

I added LD_PRELOAD as you suggested to my garnome-session startup script
and received the same error.

I also tried to just create a symlink
/home/syd/garnome/lib/libnautilus.so.0 that links to the garnome version
of libnautilus. This caused nautilus to hang immediately after first
drawing itself (it did show all the files before hanging) using 99% cpu.
I did an strace on nautilus startup (without the funky symlink) which I
can send if you think it might be relevant.

my LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set to /home/syd/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I don't know what you mean by "check /etc/ld.so.conf". What would I be
looking for? Here it is in any case:

/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt2/lib
/usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
/usr/lib/mysql
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Syd.

As I was searching through the list archives again, I found this email:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2003-June/msg00059.html

which is a resolution to a bug which describes perfectly what happens
when I try to run nautilus after creating a symlinked libnautilus.so.0

I have added the patch from the bug listing to the garnome system like
so:

1. save patch file (in this case nautilus-fix.diff) to GARCHIVE
directory set in gar.conf.mk. in my case:
/home/syd/working/garnome-0.24.2/DOWNLOAD

2. cd to the toplevel nautilus directory:
cd /home/syd/working/garnome-0.24.2/gnome/nautilus

3. Edit Makefile in toplevel nautilus directory. Add this to line 5:
PATCHFILES nautilus-fix.diff
4. run 'make clean'
5. run 'md5sum
/home/syd/working/garnome-0.24.2/DOWNLOAD/nautilus-fix.diff >>
checksums'
6. run 'make install'

and garnome magically extracts and patches the code.

CAVEAT: I have no idea whether this will solve my problem, but it sure
was fun learning.

Now all I have to do is wait for the compile to finish, recreate my
funky symlink and voila, I will have a working nautilus (or so I hope).

Cheers, and thanks to all for the help.

Syd

.

Thank you, nautilus and gnome2 both work. My problem is solved. Hope this helps someone avoid some headaches.

Cheers,
Syd.