Re:What bits of Gnome take advantage of XFree 4.3.0?

>I've just compiled 4.3.0 from source and now I'm wondering what bits of
>GARNOME are able to take advantage of that

You may have noticed that Xfree 4.3.0 comes with the Xrender, Xft, and Freetype
libraries as part of the release, three libraries that garnome also compiles as
well. I know at least freetype (if not all three, dunno) is one of the
underlying components of gtk and is therefore used by pretty much every gtk
application. A good way to check out which parts of gnome use what parts of X
would be to use the ldd comand to list its deps ("ldd gedit", etc).

I don't think you will see any real impact or advantage to re-compiling garnome
against X 4.3.0, but it certainly does simplify things a little bit. Doing so
will allow you to remove the above libraries from the garnome tree and use the
Xfree versions that are already installed. The mailing list has more than a few
tibits on how to go about doing this.

Regards,

Ryan Quarry