bonobo-activation-server fails to start

Hi list,

After compiling garnome 0.25.1, nothing (well, almost nothing) is
working. When logging in I get a message box telling me

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
work correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.
"

and then a little while after

"There was a problem registering the panel with the bonobo-activation
server.
The error code is: 3
The panel will now exit."

Has anyone seen this error? I've tried upgrading to the recently
released 2.3.5 of libbonobo, but to no avail.

Running bonobo-activation-server by hand gives me
"Trace/breakpoint trap"

Anyone?

/Bjarke

--