Re: Dependencies.

<quote who="Pat Suwalski">

> Anyhow, I tried on Xandros, which is a pretty stock Debian system with
> some extras. This is a system that does not have Gnome on it. Besides
> the dependencies that were listed on the site, I also had to apt-get:
> - jade

Yeah, I should add this and a couple of other doc items to the list. It
needs a bit of updating with the new modules in the desktop, too.

> - gtk-doc-tools

This is included in GARNOME, so you shouldn't need it externally.

> The former was easy to find, the installer craps out. The latter is used
> via gtkdoc-mkXXX and upon failing does not crap out, only dies during the
> make install phase (there is no index.sgml).

This happens if you don't have a complete sgml building kit available. This
basically means: jade, sp, docbook dsssl stylesheet and sgml dtd packages,
and some other stuff. I haven't completely figured out what the root cause
of the index.sgml failures is... But you basically need all of this stuff.

An easy way to 'get out of jail free' is to switch --enable-gtk-doc to
--disable-gtk-doc in gnome/category.mk, and remove the gtk-doc dependency
from the gnome/glib garball.

A more challenging method would be to contribute conversions from docbook
smgl to xml in the few remaining GNOME modules its used in. That will
require some validation and some build changes. Not only will it make the
build saner, but you'll be able to read those documents in devhelp! If
anyone ends up doing this, please let me know, because it means I'll owe you
a beer. :-)

Thanks,

Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

   "PHP, when it first came out, didn't really have any merits, and many
    claim it still doesn't, but it filled a void where a simple tool to
            perform a simple task was needed." - Rasmus Lerdorf