Re: garnome packages

Gerhard Melseth wrote:
Hi
If I reinstall my operating system, and copy the garnome folder with all the compiled packages, and burn them to a cd etc. Will I be able to use them when I've reinstalled my system by copying the folder in to my home dir or do I have to compile them all over again?

There's a chance that it might work, but you need to take care of some things first.

1. Your home directory should be the same, as the old one, or you should at least create the old one just for GARNOME.

eg. if your GARNOME is now in /home/you/garnome, you better make it the same path after reinstalling

2. Make sure you have all the libraries present which are needed by Garnome, and which are checked for at the ./configure time (also, be sure to recheck all the prerequisites on the Garnome homepage).

So, if you do this, you should be ready to lose some nervs, and you should probably avoid asking any further questions in here: it simply IS possible, but requires that you know your system quite a bit.

There could be a ton of erratic behaviour (like files not found, files in incorrect places, et cetera), so you'd better not do it.

Finally, put simply, I repeat, DON'T DO IT. Of course, you might disregard this, but don't expect much help in the process.

I've actually did something like this (actually, I transferred the same Garnome to other, similarly configured systems), but it's simply not recommended.

Regards,
Danilo

PS. Some of this is only my opinion how people would react to a request for help after such experiments: it might be entirely untrue!