0.21.2 on Mandrake 9 consuming 3 GB

I'm brand new to garnome.  I downloaded 0.21.2 to Mandrake 9, and just
compiled it without changing any configuration.  Before jumping in with
the problem I encountered, let me first say kudos to authors - this is a
great job of packaging - couldn't be easier.  After several failed
attempts due to out of space errors, I'm now up to 3 GB (allocating more
disk space after each failure) and it is still claiming it's out of
space.  The instructions said this should take about 1.5 GB, so I'm
undoubtedly doing something wrong, though I don't know what.  Any
suggestions?  I'm compiling this on a dual Pentium 233MMX.  Thanks.