Re: sawfish and garnome 0.21.1

Jeff Waugh wrote:

[ Daniel, that URL problem is due to the stupid hack in gnome/category.mk...
I have to make that work, *and* work cross-platform. :-) ]

Of course there's no a programmaticaly "correct" way to determine the directory name from the version number, but a few solutions come to mind.

First is to remove all after the hyphen ("-") in the version and use that as a directory name in gnome/category.mk when forming MASTER_SITES. I checked all the GARVERSIONs, and all that contain a hyphen are having their own MASTER_SITES set, so such a change would not effect anything except for Sawfish in current release.

Here's what I used to check GARVERSION values.

$ egrep '^.*GARVERSION.*=.*-.*$' */*/Makefile
gnome/bluefish/Makefile:GARVERSION = gtk2port-2003-02-05
gnome/galeon/Makefile:GARVERSION = 20030209-snapshot
gnome/sawfish/Makefile:GARVERSION = 1.2-gtk2
kde/mosfet-liquid/Makefile:GARVERSION = 0.9.6-pre2
misc/xine-lib/Makefile:GARVERSION = 1-beta4

The other solution is to make some other variable like VERSION_VARIANT (name which makes sense for Sawfish), and also add that to URL when forming MASTER_SITES.

Of course, we could go the way with just changing the MASTER_SITES for sawfish, but if we change the used mirror in gnome/category.mk, we expect it to be used whenever possible, and this solution would fail on that.

I'd write a new MASTER_SITES definition, but I'm not that (or *at all*) proficient with "awk"; by the way, is "sed" part of the portable operating system definition (POSIX)? If it is, a line that would do the wanted might be
echo $(GARVERSION) | sed "s+\([^-]*\)-.*+\1+"

Attached gnome/category.mk works correctly for me. And as far as www.unix-systems.org/single_unix_specification/ is concerned, sed is a part of SUSv3 (and also of POSIX 2003, but dunno about earlier versions, but I guess it is).

Hope this helps, Џеф (cyrillic for Jeff; if I am Daniel, then you're Џеф -- use the power of Pango to see it ;)

Regards,
Danilo ;)
# use Sweden for default mirror
MASTER_SITES += http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/$(GARNAME)/$(shell echo $(GARVERSION) | sed "s+\([^-]*\)-.*+\1+")/

# No static libs or docs
CONFIGURE_ARGS += --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc

# Enable debugging -> THIS IS GOOD!
CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-debug=yes
CFLAGS += -g

include ../../gar.mk