Re: Using garnome with different user

Ignore him, he didn't get his vitamin C today or something. But it's pretty unorthodox to compile and run stuff as root. I'd steer away from it. Also, you could be a bit more descriptive beyond 'it doesn't work' with what's wrong. Did X die? Did you get any .xsession-errors? How exactly are you attempting to launch garnome? Perhaps X isn't finding the garnome-session script that is no longer in the correct $HOME directory?

I'm able to run garnome under different users, and I'm doing so by:
hardcoding the $HOME path in the garnome-session script to the location of garnome(in my case /home/tron/garnome). And as root I created a Garnome script in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions , made it executable by all, and point it to garnome-session:

su root
cd /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions
vi Garnome
--------Garnome begin ----------

#!/bin/sh
exec /home/tron/bin/garnome-session

---------Garnome end-----------

chmod a+x Garnome

In the graphical login there should now be a new option of Garnome, and it should be available to all users(including root).
I'm running a RH8 machine, Garnome-0.25.1.

Good luck,
Chris

Joseph Phillips wrote:

Hello,

I installed garnome under my root account, and it runs fine under my root
user.

But I have another non-root account, and I want to run garnome under that
user.  Can I do this?

For example, I have garnome installed at "/root/garnome".  I tried:

1.  "cp -a /root/garnome /home/user"
2.  "chown -R user:user /home/user/garnome"

But when I launch garnome with "user" account, it doesn't work.