Mozilla fails to start with no error message + FIXED

I am having the same problem as Robert <robson stereolyzer net>
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2002-November/msg00214.html
But I could not find a solution in the mailing list or anywhere else.

I use redhat7.3 and the problem I have repeats in all recent versions of
garnome(0.21,0.23) and mozilla(1.3a,1.3b,1.3,1.4a). When I start mozilla
it stops for a second or two and then returns to command line with no
error messages.

[nadav arden nadav]$ mozilla
[nadav arden nadav]$

It does not open any graphical window or anything. I tried to rebuild it
without --enable-xft and it didn't solve the problem. I ran mozilla as
root and as a normal. I tried to play with LD_PRELOAD as Ajit George
<ajitgeorge sympatico ca> suggested but it did not help.

anyone had this problem and found the solution?

Before I sent this mail I found the solution. compile mozilla with
--enable-optimize ( -O ) and not --enable-optimize=02 ( -O2 ) this
will get mozilla to start when compiling with gcc 2.96.