0.14.1 build fails - linux - system include file problem?

I'd love to compile garnome on my linux 2.4.18 system - I'm using the
encap package manager to install packages, so a custom compilation
would definitely help me finally get GNOME, since correcting trivial
autoconf problems on the 60 packages myself is going to take a long
time.  But it fails to build.

Basically,

  make -C garnome-0.14.1/meta/gnome-desktop/ prefix=/usr build

failed quickly, generating an error in pkgconfig:

  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=g_log_domain_glib
   -DG_ENABLE_DEBUG -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
   -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe
   -g -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe -g
   -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/include
   -Wall -c gmain.c  -fPIC -DPIC
  cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
  cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
  gmain.c:191: `poll' undeclared here (not in a function)

Many more related warnings appear in the output here:

  http://www.deconfusion.org/tmp/garnome.txt

Because the libraries on my system are linked into /usr/lib, I
detected a problem in gnome/pkgconfig/work/pkgconfig-0.12.0/, on line
1746: /usr/bin/file needs to be changed to

  '/usr/bin/file -L'

for libtool to work properly.  After I made this change then did 'make
clean' in the work directory, the build still failed the same way, but
with no more warnings during configure:

  http://www.deconfusion.org/tmp/garnome2.txt

Any ideas on how to (a) fix my problem with includes and (b) properly
patch configure within the garnome system?  If there's any system info
I can provide that isn't covered in the output files, let me know.

Thanks, I'm new to this!
-Paul