missing libpcre

Hi:

I installed RedHat 8.0 with only X...no desktop. X works.

Now, I would like to build and install a Gnome desktop, using Garnome.

I have had better luck with 18.3l. than earlier Garnome releases.

I did make install from the meta directory, leaving the Garnome
configuration file alone. It couldn't download some files...so it quit
building. I tried it again, and it was compiling for a long time (I am
using a 500 MHz K6, older motherboard, and slow hard disk)...but it
died...couldn't find libpcre.

The scrip recommends installing the binary...but rpm says it is there.
The files are in /lib and /usr/lib.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks
Roy