Re: Compile error in gnome-utils

On 2002.10.29 00:49 Jason Trickett wrote:
> > the

> > > Sounds like it didn't check for curses/ncurses in gdialog.
Check to
> > > see which library you have, and report the bug to
bugzilla.gnome.org
> > > --
> >
> > The version of ncurses I have is 5.2-16mdk (for Mandrake 8.1). If
it's
> > truly a bug in gdialog is it possible to continue with garnome
0.18.2
> > by
> > sidestepping this?
> >
> run: nm -B /usr/lib/libncurses.so | grep delwin
>
> and see if it comes up with something along the lines of:
> 12345 T delwin
> ^^^   ^ ^^^
> 1     2  3
> 1: doesn't matter, just the location in the file
> 2: should be T meaning it is in the TEXT of the library file
> 3: is just the name of the function that library contains.
>
> If it does, then just add -lncurses to the end of the line that
fails
> to compile, and it will probably do the trick.  if it doesn't, yeah
> skip it, you can live without gdialog.
> --

I ran 'nm -B ...' and the result was 'nm: /usr/lib/libncurses.so: no
symbols'. So now I can skip gdialog .... but how exactly? I'm still a
novice. Sorry for the dumb(?) question.

damn, forgot they strip their libs in the distros. try to edit the garnome-0.18.1/gnome/gnome-utils/work/gnome-utils-x.x.x/Makefile and search for SUBDIRS. take gdialog out of that line and it should work again. Also, before you do that try the line it complains about with the -lncurses at the end, and an "#include <ncurses.h>" in the yesno.c file.

Samuel Stringham

P.S. that was actually a rather good question. The bad questions are the ones that state nothing about what they are trying to accomplish, or what the error message actually is.