Re: How to do a test environment...

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:14:43AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Yes, there's a .xsession file (.xinitrc) equivalent in the FAQ already.

Yes, I found that and I put that info into $HOME/gnome.xinitrc, and I can
start a new X11 session.  However, it would start X11, give me the cool
garnome image, wait about 20sec. and then exit, taking me back to display :0.

I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I'm not running any type of X
display manager.  So, what I probably need to put in the place of
"gnome-session" is the GNOME desktop manager.  But I'm not sure what that is.
I can't find gdm or gnome-desktop, but there is:
	gnome-wm
	gnome-panel
	nautilus

I thought the first would do it, but it just started X11 and gave me an arrow
pointer.  So I started it in the background and ran the second.  It started X,
gave me the arror pointer, and started the panel.  The panel was bare and
after about 30s. it existed X on that display.

Indicentally, a bunch of <CR> are sent to the xterm from which I executed the
command...

Should I run both gnome-wm and gnome-panel in the background with nautilus in
the fg?  I could need default config files, but I'm sure GNOME can handle
starting w/o them...

Am I completely off-base here?

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
	They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary