0.18.1 - libgnomecanvas -> package pangoft2 not found by configure

Hello people,

I tried to compile the garnome-0.18.1 stuff....
I got an error when garnome tries to run configure for libgnomecanvas.
It complains about package pangoft2 ist not installed (the file
pangoft2.pc is not in pkgconfig path ....thats right).

I tried to build package pango by hand, but pangoft2.pc is not being
installed.

Any ideas how to fix that ?

(Until now every garnome (including 0.18) compiled at my system)