Re: Garnome vs. Gentoo.

<quote who="Pat Suwalski">

> I have a buddy who religiously uses Gentoo. I recommended Garnome to him
> but he said he was happy with what Gentoo gave him. Sure enough, at first
> glance, their Gnome2 stuff seemed pretty up to date.
>
> So although I've done zero actual research, I'm wondering if anyone knows
> how up to date Gentoo's release is with respect to Garnome?

Gentoo is a complete GNU/Linux distribution with an aim, regardless of its
whole "build everything from source" ethic, of shipping stable software for
*users*. They, for instance, probably wouldn't (certainly "shouldn't") ship
any of the 2.1.x series, and development versions of various applications.

GARNOME is a build framework for *testers* of GNOME software. Thus, shipping
2.1.x and development versions of various applications is perfectly
reasonable.

Please don't misunderstand GARNOME -> it's there for testers, not for users.
I just go a long way to make sure testers can use it easily.

    Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so cold of
                       heart as never to express it.