Upcoming GARNOME Changes / Anyone use KDE? / Need a Co-conspirator!

Hey all,

So I'm considering some changes to GARNOME as we move into the 2.1.x release
series...

1) New Heirarchy. Again.
------------------------

Currently everything's organised under fairly hokey project-based
directories, ie. gnome/, kde/, gstreamer/ with misc/ providing a dumping
ground for Random Stuff and meta/ including garballs with dependencies only.
I'm keen to move this to a release-based system, like the new FTP site. So
we'd have something like:

  platform/   GNOME Developer Platform
  desktop/    GNOME Desktop
  fifth-toe/  GNOME Fifth Toe (cool apps)
  office/     GNOME Office
  misc/       Miscellaneous extras provided by GARNOME, could just call this
              'extras', but it could be 'garnome' (for 'GARNOME Desktop').
              Not entirely sure, but I really don't like having three levels
              of 'garnome' in CVS. :-) This directory would mostly include
              not-quite-GNOME dependencies (such as libesmtp, etc).

... and thus, no need for meta/, as you can just go into any of the release
directories and type 'make install' to get its contents. Very nice.

The second organisational change is to add new branches for 2.0.x and 2.1.x.
I'm going check in all of my 2.1.x stuff at some stage, but it makes sense
to have two versions running. I don't know why, because this is meant to be
a testing system, but anyway... Perhaps we are getting too bold. But it's
fun anyway. :-)

Thus, we'd have different version numbers for GARNOME releases, and a number
of branches. Listed here with released tarball names and CVS branch/tag
names.

  Tarball                  Branch      Tag

  garnome-2.1.0.tar.gz     HEAD        GARNOME_2_1_0
  garnome-2.1.0.1.tar.gz   HEAD        GARNOME_2_1_0_1
  garnome-2.0.0.tar.gz     gnome-2-0   GARNOME_2_0_0
  garnome-2.0.0.1.tar.gz   gnome-2-0   GARNOME_2_0_0_1
  garnome-1.4.1.tar.gz     gnome-1-4   GARNOME_1_4_1
  garnome-1.4.1.1.tar.gz   gnome-1-4   GARNOME_1_4_1_1

The fourth number is for GARNOME point releases (that make up for fuckups).
The rest of the version number shows which version of GNOME it will build.
Yes, that really is "garnome-1.4.1", and it means what you think it means
(if you've been reading and paying attention, those not doing so can stay
after class). :-)

This does cause some complications for CVS usage, however. When a project
shifts releases, do you move it over in the repo, copy it over in the repo
(and delete it in the new branch), or just create and delete on the new
branch? If you moved it in the repo, the old releases would change too,
which is not correct. I think we'd have to just create/delete without
touching the repo. Otherwise the history would poison the other bracnes...

Anyway, open to discussion about this.

2) Anyone use KDE?
------------------

Does anyone actually use KDE in GARNOME? I'm tempted to move it out due to a
lot of bad voodoo caused by the changes described in point 1. If each
version were maintained on a separate branch, where would KDE live? Would we
have to update it in each branch all the time? How much would that suck
(hint: a lot).

We could always create a new KDE release alongside the 1.4/2.0/2.1 releases,
but probably better to maintain it in a separate directory in CVS. Not sure.

Thoughts on this?

3) Need a Co-conspirator!

So, with all of that happening, and 2.1.x gaining steam, I'm going to need a
co-conspirator to help out with GARNOME. Currently, it's just me. I'd prefer
someone who already had GNOME CVS access, simply because that's a trust
metric I can work with immediately. :-) However, if you're competent with
GAR, and are mostly interested in maintaining the 2.0.x stuff, please let me
know regardless of your access to GNOME CVS.

Thanks,

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.