hacking-0.19.0 problems

this is problem my own issues, but perhaps someone has an idea.
compilation proceded fine, and I've used previous version of garnome
without extreme problems, but when I started 0.19.0 (this is debian sarge,
btw) there was no text anyway, a box came up with a picture of a trashcan
and an x in it.  I hit the x.  I ran fc-cache as root and still had these
problems after.  when I started with 0.17.1, my home had a foot on a paper
instead of the picture of the house (I'm assuming hitting the x did that).
the only feasible cause I could think of that was my error was having the
old garnome in my library path while compiling.

thanks,
Sean