meta/gnome-desktop/download/ is empty?

Good morning, first of all kudos for the garnome set. It is great.
Currently I am running garnome 0.17.1 as my default desktop and it just
works :) Keep it up.

My subject says it all. the download directory is empty. I wanted to use
make download to get all the tarballs on my system before building it,
But the directory is empty and the Makefile wants to link all there is
in that directory:

So now I am downloading while running the make install. What should be
there and why is it not?

Ron