Re: help

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 14:30, Gilberto Espinoza wrote:

> I am new to garnome so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Welcome!

> can i use garnome to build gnome without the additional pkgs (i.e.
> metacity, etc...)/
>
> i have downloaded all 60 packages from ftp.gnome.org v.2.0.2

Garnome builds Gnome2 from the source files you have downloaded -
provided you downloaded the right files for the garnome version you are
trying to build.

> how do i build without having garnome try to retrieve additional files?

To use the stable release I would recommend using Garnome 0.17.1 (avoid
the 0.18.x releases for now...).

(Un)fortunately for you, there were some changes and improvements in
addition to the 2.0.2 release which you will need to get.

You need to edit the gar.conf.mk file and set the garchive to something
like this:

    GARCHIVEDIR = /usr/local/gnome2-download

And put your files in that directory.

The cd to the meta/gnome-desktop etc directories and do make install in
each.

Any files that are required and it can't find will be notified and
you'll have to get them.

> my linux box cannot connect to the web b/c i can't get the modem to work.

If its a winmodem try building the linmodem.org drivers - they work for
me.

I would suggest you get that fixed and work with garnome once you're
connected so any required files can be downloaded as required.

--
* Simon Wong *