0.18.3 and processor optimisations - comments

Afternoon all!

Well I have built Garnome 0.18.3 with no problems on my Debian
testing/unstable laptop.

To get it to start though I did have to run "fc-cache" as root so it
could write into the system font directories.  After I had done this,
"fc-list" as normal user listed the fonts available.

Prior to running fc-cache as root, fc-list did create a ~/.fonts.cache-1
file but starting gnome gave me the pango no fonts error others have
seen.

The new fontconfig stuff does look fab and is going to be a BIG step
forward in controlling the mess that exists in Linux font control :-)

I did my build with the optimisations for my pentium in the gar.conf.mk
file which seemed to take a lot longer (sorry, no stats).

I have found that once in G2D, everything seemed to be quite slow -
window movement, nautilus starting and other application startups.

I'm not sure if this is to do with the optimisations being exactly as
Jeff has described them or because my X4.1 setup is struggling with the
the fontconfig stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to rebuild it without the optimisations and compare.

Thanks to Jeff for implementing the fontconfig stuff without requireing
X4.2+.

...over and out!

--
* Simon Wong *