more font troubles

weird thing.  I ran "apt-get install msttcorefonts" and now all the nice
pretty ms TT fonts show up in my gnome2 font-picker, however, when I
select them, everything goes to some kind of crappy Times New Roman-ish
font, except for the font properties box, which is showing the correct
font, can someone help me out?

Matt Rose     mattrose folkwolf net    Visit my blog!  http://folkwolf.net
He's a witless coffee-fuelled senator on a mission from God. She's a
pregnant mutant safe cracker who don't take no shit from nobody. They
fight crime!
Random Crime Fighters by http://www.rain-street.org/fightcrime.htm