Re: running gnome2

From: Nick Murtagh <murtaghn tcd ie>
To: "Ben Rooney" <spatial_terra hotmail com>, garnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: running gnome2
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 03:07:06 +0100

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 23:07, Ben Rooney wrote:
> you've got to understand that the state of my machine is in a bit of a
> bastardized state. it was initially running mandrake 7.2, then i through
> ximian on it while in between and after installing other packages or
> compiling apps myself.  i've always had trouble with nautilus and other
> apps.

i've had no luck with mandrake 8.1 either, and nobody here was able to help.
what happens when you try to run gnome?

it just starts up 1.4. gnome2 isn't running at all as far as i can tell. but then again, i'm not sure what is happening behind the scenes so i can't determine if parts of gnome2 has started or not

> so, basically, does anybody have any ideas? does anybody know where they > can point me to to get a background info on what gnome does when it starts > up. ie. what processes are started, in what order, etc... this may help.

basically, you start X, and then run gnome-session. mandrake and
possibly other distros put a lot of stuff in the way, but that's what
it comes down to.

nick