running gnome2

i'm having trouble getting gnome2 to run on my machine. i finally got garnome to compile after going through hoops. however, i now can't get it to run. i've always had trouble upgrading things on my system which i explain later so i don't think it's garnome that's at fault.

i've tried to configure conf files as suggested on news.gnome.org but to now avail. just makes my system worst. i've tried to create a .xsession file in my home directory with the new paths and library paths. i've also tried to add them to my .bashrc like a different thread mentioned. my biggest problem is that i don't know the start up process for xwindows/gnome so i can't really debug what is going on. i don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

you've got to understand that the state of my machine is in a bit of a bastardized state. it was initially running mandrake 7.2, then i through ximian on it while in between and after installing other packages or compiling apps myself. i've always had trouble with nautilus and other apps.

so, basically, does anybody have any ideas? does anybody know where they can point me to to get a background info on what gnome does when it starts up. ie. what processes are started, in what order, etc... this may help.

also, anyone know how i can unbastardize my system? i'm thinking of going to debian as what i've seen on their site i like better. more info on dependencies and how to get them. mandrake is just too busy with not enuf detail. is there a way to migrate to debian without reinstalling linux from scratch. if so how or where can i get info.

thanks
ben