Problem setting locale after installing garnome-0.10.0.tar.gz

I have compiled garnome-0.10.0.tar.gz without any problems i.e.
cd garnome-0.10.0/meta/gnome-office
make install

I am having problems setting the locale.  I have tried setting the
locale in .xsession i.e.

LANG=C
PATH=$HOME/garnome/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT=1
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT LANG
exec $HOME/garnome/bin/gnome-session

and using the gdm menu but it always uses Greek fonts.

If I remove the Greek fonts it doesn't run and reports an error message
about the fonts.  I am running Debian Sid.

Is the locale set somewhere else?

Edward