Starting Garnome

I'm having a small problem starting Garnome.

It appears to have compiled fine, however, when I drop down to init 3,
export new $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $GDK_USE_XFT variables, and run
gnome-session, I get the following error:

(gnome-login-check:3525): Gtk WARNING **: cannot open display

(gnome-session:3524): Gtk WARNING **: cannot open display

I'm running Mandrake 8.2.  I'm a relative newbie (8 months), and suspect
that I need to initiate an xsession somehow before running
gnome-session, but cannot work out how.  The README text describes how
it's done with Debian, but the same doesn't seem applicable with
Mandrake.  Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is to choose Gnome2
from the kdm login manager (running kde3.0.1 btw).

Any help appreciated.

Matt