make clean

Hi. I have about 1 gb free on my hd, and I have managed to build garnome
several times (since 0.7.0) by making 'clean' (go to the directory and
type make clean) on some packages already installed. The problem is that
when garnome tries to build a package which depends on some of the one I
cleaned, it thinks they are not installed, and donwloads and builds them
again.
So, I have to 'make clean' some of the packages that take out more space
and that few other packages depend on (e.g nautilus) to get garnome to
build without running out of space.
Is there a better way to do this? Maybe telling garnome to make clean
after building a package, or making it remember the packages it built
successfully so that it doesn't build them again?

This would be very helpful for me and other with little hd space.

Thanks in advance.

Neven

ps: I hope I made myself clear, my english is not too good