Future of GARNOME

<quote who="Ahmad Baitalmal">

> What are the plans for Garnome once Gnome2 is released?  Will there be a
> final Garnome and then the major distros pick up (Ximian, etc) or will
> Garnome become it's own potato?

I've decided that I will continue GARNOME after 2.0 comes out. Here are the
plans:

  - Update to current GAR setup.

  - Polish the garballs, including maintainer fields, descriptions and the
    like.

  - Hopefully add some cute features to GAR such as ccache and easier
    updating to newer garballs (even though GAR is not *really* designed for
    that just yet).

  - Regular submissions of GNOME/KDE stuff upstream to GAR / LNX-BBC,
    hopefully including 'run-directly-from-cd' configurations of each
    (LNX-BBC is a bootable business card CD distro, for those of you not in
    the fantatical trade show junkie loop).

  - Maintain both stable (official release) and bleeding edge GNOME garballs
    (the 2.1 series). GNOME is shifting to a regular snapshot, always
    buildable release schedule, so GARNOME can go a long way to supporting
    that.

  - Attempt to solve a lot of our cross-platform and regional issues so that
    GARNOME works nicely everywhere it can.

  - Include many GNOME 1.x garballs, to provide a very complete distribution
    of GNOME.

  - Add kickarse GARNOME themes and sexiness (also submitting these upstream
    and to theme sites), and polish initial configurations, etc. so that
    logging into GARNOME for the first time rocks way hard (especially good
    for CD distros). Most of this work should apply to both stable and devel
    versions, but we'd want to keep devel versions fairly clean for testing.

There you have it... I'm going to need helpers. :-)

  (I'm also working on a GAR-based media machine, pretty much a CD, VCD,
  DVD, digital audio, video, tv thingy. Want to make two parts, the GAR
  system for building the software for the machine itself, and a GAR for the
  installation CD, which starts up, initialises the machine, and builds the
  machine GAR for you right then and there. Noice.)

> I ask because it seems every Gnome2 package I try has something missing.
> Garnome is the only set that has a well thought out setup. I hope Garnome
> will continue as it's own distro.

Heh, thanks.

    "Lord, thy one-liners are as good as thy tricks. Thou art indeed an
         all-round family entertainer." - Rowan Atkinson, Nazareth