Font problems

Hello!

I just compiled GNOME2 using GARNOME 0.12.2. From what I've tried so far
it seems to be running fine, save for one issue: "Efont Serif" seems to
be broken. I'm using the standard font settings with "Serif" for the
default application font and "Sans" for the desktop. Both some special
characters on the desktop like the apostrophe in "mb's Home" and some
texts in the help browser appear as little squares with the ASCII code
of the character they replace inside. "Sans" seems to have only a very
limited set of glyphs, and either the missing ones are shown as these
boxes in the first place or GNOME substitutes "Efont Serif" for the
missing ones. If I preview the latter in the font requester, it only has
these boxes, not a single real character...
If it happened with umlauts and the like I'd look in the direction of
locales, but as it is I don't have a clue. Does anybody?

TIA!
	Matthias