compiling

I've got myself backed into an odd little corner.  I've compiled most of
the stuff I want out of garnome-0.19.3, using gcc-3.1.  WHen I go to
compile gnome-python (for straw), garnome needs python2.2, and I don't
have the devel package for 2.2, only for 2.1.  When I try to install the
2.2 devel packages, sid wants to install a new compiler (gcc-3.2).  Now,
my options from here seem to be.

1.  force gnome-python to use python2.1.  Does anyone know if python2.1
will work with gnome python?
2.  upgrade to gcc-3.2 and the python-2.2 devel packages, does anyone know
if this breaks anything?
3.  not install straw.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Matt Rose     mattrose folkwolf net    Visit my blog!  http://folkwolf.net
He's a jaded skateboarding rock star with a winning smile and a way
with the ladies. She's a vivacious insomniac safe cracker with her own
daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!
Random Crime Fighters by http://www.rain-street.org/fightcrime.htm