Re: (no subject)

I did that on my redhat7.3:
a) add a new user (gnome2) to my linux system
b) untar garnome in the new user home directory (if you already compile every thing you can move garnome dir to the new user home dir) without using a directed login (su gnome2)
c) make install from meta/gnome-desktop dir
d) copy Gnome file to Gnome2 in /etc/X11/gde/Sessions dir
e) edit new Gnome2 file as follow
PATH=$HOME/garnome/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=%HOME/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
GDK_USE_XFT=1
export  PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
exec $HOME/garnome/bin/gnome-session

e) logout from my old user
f) login as gnome2 user using gnome2 session

Hope to be useful
Mimmo

Jeremy wrote:

I've had similiar trouble, and I think it has to do with 'make install'
installing everything under your home directory.  Does anyone know how you can
move garnome out of a users home directory, and place it in a public directory
so other users can use it as their desktop?

From what I've seen so far, it looks great.  Great job guys.
-Jeremy

--- Jan <jan seismo ifg ethz ch> wrote:

Dear list,

I would like to use the new Gnome Desktop because it is a very nice one !
Unfortunately I am not able to.
I downloaded garnome-0.31.1 unpacked the sources and edited gar.conf.mk
My prefix is /opt/Gnome2
Compilation was successful.
When launching gnome-session from the console I get the following message :

Failed to activate AAFIID : Gnome_Settings Daemon

Then the whole thing stops and I just have the MousePointer left on my X
- Screen.
What's that Gnome Settings Daemon ?

Can anyone help me ?

regards