Re: Bug in GARNOME 0.13.1 GConf Makefile (was Gconf won't let GNOME run!)

<quote who="James J. Ramsey">

> I don't have /etc/gconf/1/path on my machine, so the lines
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" and
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" get appended to
> $(sysconfdir)/gconf/2/path, where for me $sysconfdir is /opt/garnome/etc.

No - this is for compatibility with system-installed GConf 1.x versions, not
for anything to do with GARNOME or its installation directories.

> Anyhow, I'd say a GARNOME 0.13.1a release is due. The above bug that I
> encountered is both easy to fix *and* frustrating, since it flat out can
> keep GNOME from even running.

It's the wrong fix, and the above system has been in place for many, many
versions of GARNOME (with some changes here and there). It is there to
provide interoperability with the GConf 1.x libraries (and thus
applications, like Galeon).

Using gconftool-1 or similar to determine the correct directory for GConf
1.x paths would be good, but it hasn't been done yet (patches accepted), and
is not of incredibly huge importance because most sane systems use
/etc/gconf anyway.

  "To do: Start up a a magazine dedicated to picky grammar. Call it 'Whom
                              Weekly'." - WzDD