Re: Suggestions and Questions

 Hi,

Aschwin van der Woude wrote:

- The Main Menu (top left) could do with a favourites sub-menu (like in Mandrake 8.2). This is a serious value-addition. I generally right click on any item from the main menu and click on "Add to Favourites menu" and it is added to the Favourites sub-menu. And, I just use the sub-menu most of the time as it has just the right applications in it. It's like the most-wanted desktop icons except not on the desktop (I like my desktop as clean as possible). Also, If we can have another menu-item "Properties" for every item in the Applications Menu and sub-menus. This is present in Mandrake 8.2 + Gnome 1.4 and tells us about the specific link (path, icon, and other details). Also, Tool-tips for all the Application Menu and sub-menu items would be a great thing.
In short:
1. Favourites sub-menu
2. Two menu-items in the right click menu of every item in the Main Applications menu and sub-menu.
   1. One for adding that particular item to the favourites menu
   2. One for seeing the properties of that particular menu-item

IIRC this will be solved in some later version of gnome. Jeff?

- The keyboard seems to be behaving weird. If you keep a key pressed, the character is not repeated !! Like if you want to delete a piece of text using the backspace key and you keep the backspace key pressed, it will just delete on character and not proceed. It is frustrating to have a behaviour like that. Any solution?

Hmm weird! It works for me and my config is very similar to yours.
(Mandrake 8.2)

Yes, It is frustrating. I tried looking the GConf editor and found the keyboard repeat parameter. But, that just repeats the characters that I type on the console too!!

- The Sound events was a problem in my Mandrake 8.2 + Gnome 1.4, and I thought that this was Mandrake specific problem. But, it doesn't seem to be working in Garnome too! Specifically, I can't get the login/startup sound, various sound events (Error, informational, etc), various window events (minimized, maximized, etc) Any suggestions, help?

You need to install the sound-events for gnome. I attached a tarballs
you can drop into the garnome-tree.
Just do a 'make install' in gnome/gnome-audio.

Thanks for the attachment. Is the attached file for Gnome 1.4 or Garnome 0.12.2 . Since, I have Garnome installed in my home directory under /home/sandeepk/garnome and the original install tree in /home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2. So, I just dropped and expanded the attached tar ball in /home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2 which made it as /home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio. And, when I run 'make install' it looks like it is tring to do something in /usr/share/sounds !!!

sandeepk sandeepk garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio $ make install
[fetch] complete. Finished rules: pre-everything download pre-fetch download/gnome-audio-1.4.0.tar.gz post-fetch [checksum] complete. Finished rules: fetch cookies pre-checksum cookies/checksum-gnome-audio-1.4.0.tar.gz post-checksum [extract] complete. Finished rules: checksum work cookies pre-extract cookies/extract-gnome-audio-1.4.0.tar.gz post-extract [patch] complete. Finished rules: extract work/gnome-audio-1.4.0 pre-patch post-patch
==> Building gnome/pkgconfig as a dependency
[configure] complete. Finished rules: patch dep-../../gnome/pkgconfig pre-configure post-configure
  [build] complete.  Finished rules: configure pre-build post-build
==> Running make install in work/gnome-audio-1.4.0
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio/work/gnome-audio-1.4.0'
make -C sounds install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio/work/gnome-audio-1.4.0/sounds'
for I in *.wav */*.wav ; do \
  mkdir -p /usr/share/sounds /`dirname $I`; \
  install -c -m 444  $I /usr/share/sounds/$I; \
done
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/card_shuffle.wav': Permission denied install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/sounds/email.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/error.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/generic.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/info.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/login.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/logout.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/phone.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/shutdown1.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/warning.wav': Permission denied
install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav': Permission denied install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/clicked.wav': Permission denied install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/toggled.wav': Permission denied install: cannot remove `/usr/share/sounds/panel/slide.wav': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-files] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio/work/gnome-audio-1.4.0/sounds'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sandeepk/tmp/garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio/work/gnome-audio-1.4.0'
make: *** [install-work/gnome-audio-1.4.0/Makefile] Error 2
sandeepk sandeepk garnome-0.12.2/gnome/gnome-audio $

If it is for Gnome 1.4 then, I already had the sound files installed in /usr/share/sounds but, it still never worked. And, The sound events sure did not work in my Garnome install too.

- I just realised that this is my first piece of software that I am using after compiling right on my machine. This means that it is compiled for my specific machine using my machine specific paramenters, right? So, Unlike the pre-built RPMs, it should be faster than the other RPM installed packages. But, I find my Garnome slower than the already installed Gnome 1.4. Why?

Mandrake compiles its software specifically for the Pentium and uses
some of the Pentium specific features.
Garnome doesn't do this. But you can turn on all those optimizations as well. It runs very smooth on my laptop.
What kind of processor do you have?
In case you have a Pentium 3, here are my compiler options :

CFLAGS += -O2 -falign-functions=4 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
-mfancy-math-387 -pipe -march=pentium3 -msse -mfpmath=sse
-finline-functions

I placed this line in gnome/category.mk. But it will probably also work
in gar.conf.mk. You might need to comment some other CFLAGS line in
gnome/category.mk. I don't really remember how the original looked like.

I am sorry that I forgot to mention it. My laptop is Compaq 12XL125: AMD K6-III, 533 Mhz, 30 Gb HDD, 192 Mb RAM with 8 Mb shared Video memory. Can You suggest an optimization string for it and a procedure to place it as I don't know much about makefiles.

Over the past few years I have found out that the Window Manager plays a big role in the GUI responsiveness of the Gnome desktop. And, With my Gnome 1.4 I use the IceWM window manager which gives me terrific performance and GUI responsiveness. As mentioned in the lists, I issued a 'kill sawfish' and started IceWM in Garnome. Altough, the Windows did have the IceWM specific decoration but, the applications and desktop behaved very very weird.

Hmm strange. I suggest trying metacity. It has very nice performance as
well and isn't so feature-packed as other WM's.

Hmmm. Someday, I will try it. But, For now, IceWM has a lot of good features that I really like. I liked my previous Window Manager FluxBox too.

- Is there any way in which I can configure/ fine-tune Sawfish in Garnome for having different WM_CLASS windows to open on different Workspaces. I have that configured in IceWM. I have 4 dsktops:
General - All Filemanagers, etc open here
Multimedia - XMMS, media players, Xine, sound recorder, etc open here
Development - BlueFish, Forte for Java, etc open here
Internet - Galeon, Mozilla, Gaim, etc open here

Good question! I dunno!

- I read it somewhere in the lists or on the Garnome interoduction that the configurations presented in the menus are for new-comers and do not show all the fine-tuning/specific options. Is that correct? If so, How can I see all the fine options (something like Advanced mode). Specifically the "While moving Windows use BoxModel OR Solid" , etc.

Try 'Applications/System tools/Configuration editor' it gives access to
the gconf-database. There you will find all the config-options gnome2
software is using.

Yes, I have been playing with it for some time now. Unfortunately, chaning the Window Manager option in it doesn't have any effect, and I could never find that "move windows using Opaque/Box Model...." option that Sawfish already had.

- The Workspace switcher is a great thing and the facility to drag an item from one Workspace into other workspace is cool too. Except that, the dragging and dropping feature is a little buggy. If you drag a window from one workspace to another, It is still visible in the Worskspace switcher in the same original workspace, but, is actually transferred to the final/target workspace. Only if you switch to the target Workspace, can you see the transferred Window and it then vanishes from the Workspace switcher after you have shifted to the target Workspace

I just tried, but this seems to be fixed in the latest releases.

latest releases?? I think I did download the latest from http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/ which was 0.12.2 .

.

Hope this helps in making Garnome a much better desktop.

Hope this helps in making your experience with Gnome2 more pleasant.

-A.

Sandeep

--
Sandeep Khanna