Garnome 0.8.6 on FreeBSD

Hi,
Has anyone built garnome on freebsd? I'm having some trouble and I hope someone can help. When I cd into the meta/gnome-desktop directory (or any other directory for that matter) and issue a make install I get the following error:
"Makefile", line 8: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 10: Need an operator
"../../gar.conf.mk", line 53: Need an operator
"../../gar.conf.mk", line 54: Need an operator
"../../gar.conf.mk", line 55: Need an operator
Error expanding embedded variable.

Is there something I have not configured? I've also tried using zsh instead of my usual bash, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.
--==--
kaiton