Re: [gamin] nfs troubles

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:04:57PM -0600, Jason Pepas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an admin for a network of 100+ machines which have nfs automounted
> /home.
>
> We have recently been working to identify bottlenecks in our nfs server,
> and it was discovered that our nfs server was sustaining a rate of
> 10,000 ACCESS operations per second, and almost 4,000 GETATTR
> operations.
>
> We recently upgraded to gamin 0.1.6 to make use of mandatory_gaminrc
> (we used "fsset nfs none").

  first try to upgrade to the latest release (01.7)

> However, some of our hosts are still flooding the nfs server with ACCESS
> and GETATTR's, at rates of over 400 ops per second for the worst
> offenders.  Running 'pkill gam_server' in a while loop drops that number
> to less than 10 per second, so it's pretty clear gam_server is the
> culprit.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to prevent gam_server from watching
> nfs mounted files?

  Hard to tell, this sounds like a bug, yes but I have never tried
"fsset nfs none" myself. Debugging the gam_server to see why and where
it still accesses the NFS volume sounds the best way to fix this:

  http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/debug.html

Daniel