Re: [gamin] gamin patch

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:24:46PM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:
> Yo,
>
> Attached is a patch that contains:
>
> -An updated inotify backend
> 	This new backend does not need the poll backend.

  Okay, however I dislike "GAMIN_EVENT_UNKNOWN" I have no idea what
it means, where it can come from, etc ... That should be fixed.
Applied anyway.

> -Change the retry delay from 100 to 1000 microseconds
>
> 	At 100 I found it was retrying too fast

  No, I disagree, 10 times a second is not much. Is "found"
based on a real problem or a perception from your part ?
In case forking the gam_server fails then this introduce a 25
second delay in that routine, I disagree with that change,
not applied.

> -Changes the failure code for gam_server when it can't load
> the subscription backend or it can't start the server
>
> 	This is a real bug. gam_server would call g_error()
> 	when it couldn't start the server and dump core.
> 	gam_server not starting is not an error [as seen
> 	in the startup races]
>
> 	Also the inotify backend could fail to startup
> 	if more than 8 programs have opened /dev/inotify.
>
> 	in this two cases, the g_error() turns in to gam_debug()
> 	and we exit.

  Okay, sensible, applied,
I will probably release 0.0.5 this afternoon,

  thanks,

Daniel