Re: Gnome-games shared scores

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 18:34 +0100, Claessens Xavier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to share scores on several computers. All computers are connected
> to a server (NIS and NFS for /home). How can I do ? Is there a score
> file which I can put on the server and share on all computers ?

The score files are, by default, under /var/games. Since /var is not
shareable this is not a good place to have them for sharing. There are
two options:

The "correct" way is to recompile the games package with --localstatedir
set to a suitable shared directory and make sure it is installed on all
your machines.

The simple way is to just replace the appropriate score files
in /var/games with a symlink to copies of those files in a shared
directory (make sure you preserve the permissions on the files). If you
are sure that all your games (including non-gnome ones) are happy to
have a shared directory then you can just make the whole /var/games
directory a symlink.

Be warned that there may be file locking issues. Pre 2.13, the score
files had no file locking and if two people finish games at the same
time there might be corruption. Post 2.13 there is file locking, but it
hasn't been tested on NFS shares so there may be bugs.