hacking on same-gnome

Hi,

Thought it was about time I started hacking on Gnome a little, what
better place to start than my favorite game, same-gnome.

Changes I would like to try and make to same-gnome: arbitrary board
sizes, better icons (more contrast), persistance between sessions,
better/different background colours/images and a portrait mode.

I'd also quite like to try converting/extending the tile drawing to
allow for a square blocks theme with redrawn boarder a bit like KDE's
kilckety has, this could accompany, overlay or replace the icons.

Was wondering, is there was any general direction/strategy for the
games? I seem to remember SVG being the craze a few months back.
Would be good to know this stuff before I start hacking away.

Thanks in advance,

Tom