Re: Additional Mahjongg Mapsets

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Rexford Newbould wrote:
> The one thing I've missed in GNOME mahjongg is additional boards.  Most
> of the millions of clones out there have many boards to play through,
> while GNOME's has 2.  So, I put in 3 more boards I made up this morning
> [Pyramids, TicTacToe, and a boxed Cross].  Is anyone else interested in
> this stuff?
I am interested in new boards for Mahjongg. I have another two which I
haven't yet got around to integrating. I'm not going to be able to have a
look at these for a week or so (or any other gnome stuff for that matter,
we'll be having guests and then going off tramping in Fiordland for a few
days), but once I have I'll tell you what I think (with luck it will just
be a "I've put them in CVS" response). It would be nice if they were
loaded from an external file and we had a board editor, but that isn't
going to happen in time for 2.6.

> I've attached a patch against the 2.2.1 mahjongg.c, that puts in these
> extra boards, and gives the name of current board in the status window
> in the lower left.
I would prefer it if you submitted patches against 2.4, 2.5 or,
preferably, CVS. It's not going to matter this time since I can easily
extract the boards, but mahjongg has had 2/3 of it's code rewritten
since 2.2. Also you got the patch backwards, your patch *removes*
your changes from the file (thats what the little - means). This is a
really easy mistake to make.

> If people are interested, I was thinking of making about a dozen total
> boards, and using the space that did have the status message box for an
> option box that selected the board.  [It currently houses two messages,
> "Welcome to GNOME Mahjongg" (which gets truncated!), and "...Game
> Paused"].  I considered packing a Pause and a Continue button into the
> same box for the Pause button, and show/hide'ing them as needed to show
> the game Pause status.
Aisleriot displays the name in the titlebar, this would be the appropriate
place for mahjongg. I would prefer to keep the selection of games in the
menus, although a button which brings up a dialog like aisleriot does work
(but aisleriot doesn't have a preferences menu anymore). There is no point
devoting a lot of space to something that will not be used often. By the
way: the "Welcome" message is now visible since the window is resizeable
in 2.5.x.