Re: blackjack

Hello Callum,

Thanks for your message.

Callum McKenzie wrote:
Is there any chance this can be pulled into gnome-games when it is ready?

The chances are good I think. Especially if it reuses the libgdkcard
library (as aisleriot does) since this will make the space it takes up
negligible.

Great!

There are some issues you need to consider (these apply to anyone with
code for gnome-games) :

a) Timing with respect to the major releases. The feature freeze is
June 9th for this round. It's not as strict in gnome-games as in most
modules but I would probably like to include it before June 2nd (the
2.2.3 tarball due date) if it is going to be included for 2.4. Waiting
for 2.5 is an easier option although it would be after September.

I should be able to get something tar'd up in the next few days. I would love to get some code review.

b) Features: It should support the use of GConf and ideally use
libgdkcard for the cards. It should conform to the human interface
guidelines and also be i18n ready. It should also be accessible
(i.e. you can use the keyboard to navigate all the dialogs and the
menus). Preferences should be auto-apply where possible (again, see
the HIG). Basically it should behave as a good GNOME application and
not some mutant that just happens to use the gnome libraries.

It currently uses gnome_config but not GConf.  I will change this.

The game allows the user to select from a few different sets of "rules." For example, the game can use Vegas Strip rules, Atlantic City rules, etc. I am currently using gnome_config files to store these under (datadir)/blackjack-games.

It does use libgdkcard for the cards. However, I converted all the deprecated functions and wrapped the header in:
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

Blackjack is mostly written in c++ so I need that to prevent name mangling. Should I post the patches here or put them in bugzilla?

Since the menu operation is a subset/copy of the Aisleriot menus I think they are all ok. I will still have to go through the HIG again carefully.

c) Size: I want to keep the tarball for gnome-games at less than 10M,
preferably a lot smaller. Unfortunately most of the package is
graphics and I haven't figured out the best way to trim the package
down. If this game is mostly code (i.e. it uses libgdkcard and the
graphics that are already there) then it should be fine. However,
while xbill has been removed I haven't made up my mind about gnibbles
and gnobots2 so there will be some space considerations. Freecell will
also go (but this won't save much space since libgdkcard will be
staying).

All code, no docs yet, except one small splash image. So far it is a <100k executable with no debug symbols.

d) Misc: There are some problems looking at the screenshot. Things
like the excessively precise numbers are probably obvious. The
spinbuttons in the status bar are probably too fiddly that close to
the edge of the window (especially if focus follows the mouse and you
are using the down button). But these are minor issues and easy to fix.

I want to make the display of probabilities a preference. I don't think the average user will care much about them. They can always use the Hint button to get the "best bet". However, the advanced user will want to see them. I agree that there is far too much precision. I will change that.

I will think about how to redo the wager adjustment. I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks,
Jon