Re: Gnomine suggestion

> OK, I'm not urging. But below you make interesting suggestions.
I probably started off a bit negatively :). I'm always
interested in suggestions.

> Good idea. Just make sure that the hint is given next to a
> revealed square. Then it will (probably) give information.
>
> BTW, I had an idea about a hint button too, but with my
> computation. So you could use it and be sure that it could
> be deduced, and then you could puzzle out why. Good way of
> learning for beginners.
What I would probably do is just add a "hint" button to the game menu
and let it reveal a random clear square as a first cut. If you don't
want to write this I'll probably do it early in the 2.5 series (there
will be a 2.5 branch in CVS shortly after the string freeze in a week
or so). Of course I'd love it if you wrote the code (sending me a
patch against CVS if possible). Further selection of the square to be
revealed can be added afterwards (this would definitely be up to you
to code since I will probably be happy with just revealing a random
square). The reason for splitting it up is that while I'm quite happy
with the simple hint system, I'm not absolutely convinced by any of
the other options (while it would be nice if the hint could be useful
it should also be a bit of a "gamble" in some ways).

> I had also another idea. What about adding a mine-free "fringe"?
> When needed, you could reveal a border square to get info, and
> perhaps pay 10-20 seconds for it.
This doesn't seem particularly clean to me. It is not going to be
obvious at first glance what this fringe is nor how you're meant to
deal with it. Also it is going to be an eye-sore for those who don't
want to use it.