Re: Photo,bio,abstract

On 22 Feb 2002, Tim Ney wrote:

> Hello Michi,
>
> Would you have a photo for the GUAD3C website?  Please send it to
> g3web@gnome.org. Also, a brief abstract of the talk you will present and
> a short biography would be useful, too.

Hi Tim,

you can grab a photo off my web site:

	http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi

Abstract and bio are attached below.

> We'll be in touch soon with your scheduled time on either the 4th or 5th
> of April.

Great, thanks!

							Cheers,

								Michi.

Abstract:

	Computing Fallacies (or: What is the World Coming To?)

	This talk presents a look at the software industry and the
	practices that are rampant therein, muses about the utility
	(or otherwise) of current-generation computer systems, and
	challenges some of the so-called "accepted wisdom" that is
	passed down from generation to generation of engineers.
	Currently, creation of software is not an engineering discipline
	but akin to alchemy; this talk presents some of the problems
	the industry will have to solve in order to be taken seriously
	(and suggests to abandon the search for the Philosopher's
	Stone of software engineering).

Bio:

	Michi Henning is Chief CORBA Scientist of IONA Technologies,
	a major vendor of CORBA-compliant middleware, where he spends
	much of his time developing new software and consulting to
	international customers. Michi achieved international recognition
	through his expert advice given in countless postings to
	numerous mailing lists and the comp.object.corba newsgroup.
	Together with Steve Vinoski, Michi wrote "Advanced CORBA Programming
	with C++", which among CORBA experts is rated as the definitive
	text in the field, and he has developed several CORBA training
	courses for different ORB vendors.

	Through his work as an OMG member, Michi substantially influenced and
	formed the CORBA standard. He was a major contributor to the OMG
	Trading, Notification, Interoperable Naming, and Telecom Logging
	Service specifications, and has made substantial contributions
	to the CORBA Core, IIOP, and C++ Mapping specifications. He is a
	member of the OMG Architecture Board and Chair of the OMG C++
	Revision Task Force.

	Michi holds an Honours Degree in Computer Science from the
	University of Queensland, is a founding member of Australian
	UNIX Users Group Queensland, and has acted as program chair and
	program committee member for numerous technical computer conferences.

	When not doing computer-related things, he desperately tries to
	improve his golf handicap. Hope springs eternal...